Established in 1980, the Mattoon Area Community Foundation is a collection of funds and resources given by local citizens and organizations to enhance and support the quality of life in the Greater Mattoon area.
Mattoon Area Community Foundation exists to support two essential pieces of the fabric of our community: local charities working to improve the quality of life for our community and donors who generously give financial contributions to support the causes they care about.
We endeavor to administer and distribute philanthropic funds for the benefit of the Mattoon area residents. Mattoon Area Community Foundation serves as the custodian for a variety of funds, benefiting a wide-range of charities while meeting the wishes of today's donor.
The Mattoon Area Community Foundation is:
- a 501(c)(3) organization. This tax-exempt non-profit status confers certain tax benefits to donors. It also allows the foundation to act as an “umbrella” organization for community projects and programs, passing along to those program and projects the tax and other benefits of its 501(c)(3) status.
- a collection of a growing number of charitable funds built through the generous gifts and bequests of many people and organizations in the Mattoon area
- a service for givers, providing a variety of options that not only provide flexibility, but also meet the personal, financial and philanthropic needs of the giver
- a partner with professional advisors to create personalized and effective approaches to charitable giving
- an advocate for philanthropy, whatever form it takes, that believes a rising tide raises all boats.
- a champion of community causes
- a grant maker that links the generosity of donors with the needs of the community
- a strategic philanthropic leader, bringing people and organizations together to create positive change in the community
Total grant dollars in 2008: $63,884
Total grant dollars in 2009: $34,396
Total grant dollars in 2010: $28,132